LUXXE | HONOR - Self+Care Ed
Transforming Your Home Into a Toxin-Free Space
Last month we talked about the meaning of Self + Care and the different ways we can be more cognizant of taking care of ourselves. This month, we're diving into the "How to" of Self + Care focusing on the place we spend our most precious time - our home.
Our homes are our sanctuary. A place where we feel safe, can relax and be with the people we love the most. Making your home a toxic-free zone is of the utmost importance, especially if there are babies, pets or anyone that suffers from asthma and/or allergies. The air you breath, the products used in the shower and the cleaning supplies you're using in the kitchen all contribute to a toxic environment. So lets get started on detoxing your home and making your daily routine one that is filled with essential oils and natural cleaning agents.
Kitchen and Bath
Our kitchen and bathrooms are what gets used the most and require the serious cleaning supplies. You will surprised how well natural products work in these areas, especially floors, sinks and toilets. Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Floors- Vinegar is amazing cleaning agent when diluted with water. Use it on all of your tile and wood floors. For wood, use a little on a damp rag and clean on hands and knees. For tile, add to a bucket of warm water and mop away. If you have a baby crawling around the floor or a dog that likes to sleep on the floor, keep them in mind when you're switching from conventional floor cleaners to natural cleaners.
2. Sinks - For stubborn stains on ceramic sinks, make a water and baking soda paste and lightly scrub with a soft towel. You can add peppermint essential oil or a citrus essential oil to your paste to add a fresh, natural scent.
3. Toilet- Make a DIY toilet bowl cleaner using this recipe:
1 cup of distilled water
1/2 cup of baking soda
1/2 cup Castile soap
15-20 drops of pure essential oils (lavender, peppermint, lemon, grapefruit or tea tree work great)
Add the liquid ingredients to a squirt bottle using a funnel, then add the baking soda. Place top on the bottle and secure. Shake vigorously.
4. Countertops - Everyone needs a good multipurpose cleaner for countertops, windows, and general wiping up. This is an easy recipe that makes for a great multipurpose cleaner as well as a floor cleaner:
1 cup distilled water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup of isopropyl alcohol
2-3 drops of dish soap (like Mrs. Meyers or Seventh Generation)
25-30 drops of essential oils (lavender, lemon and peppermint make a great combination for this spray)
Add all ingredients to a glass spray bottle that has a fine mist setting and can hold 20 ounces. Shake well before each use. Use caution on delicate surfaces like granite or marble. The vinegar can be abrasive for those delicate stone surfaces.
Every time we shower or bath, we're most likely using toxic body wash, soaps, shampoos and conditioners. But even our water contains chlorine and other disinfectant byproducts. These are our favorite products for outfitting your bathroom with natural, non-toxic options:
1. Body Wash- Luxxe | Honor's Grapefruit and Lime Body Wash is one of our favorites. The grapefruit is a natural cleanser and is naturally antibacterial. Grapefruit is also uplifting, soothing and clarifying so it's a perfect addition to a body wash. Lime oil promotes emotional balance and well-being, lifts the mood and is aromatically refreshing.
2. Perfume- Fragrance is classified as a "Toxic Ten" when it comes to dangerous products we put on our bodies. Synthetic scents can cause allergic reactions and irritate those with asthma. They can also irritate your skin. Many perfumes and colognes don't list ingredients, so we don't really know what we're spraying on our skin. Keep it simple with pure scents that contain essential oils. One of our favorites is Silver Lining.
3. Shampoo and Conditioner- Great smelling hair that feels clean is what we all strive for when shopping for hair care, but have you ever read the labels of your delicious smelling shampoo? It contains ingredients like Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Parabens, Sodium Chloride, Formaldehyde and Synthetic Fragrance and Alcohol. Most of these ingredients strip the hair of natural oils. Look for a shampoo containing natural ingredients like aloe and coconut oil and sulfate-free formulas. Keep an eye out for LUXXE | HONOR's new line of Shampoo, Conditioner and Hair Detangler.
4. Deodorant- Aluminum is a neurotoxin and it is bad for your brain. There have been multiple studies linking aluminum to Alzheimers disease. What is in most antiperspirants? Aluminum. Switching your deodorant to a natural deodorant is so easy and absolutely imperative for your health. There are a lot of natural deodorants on the market, but we can't help but tell you about our Honor Thy | Deodorant. You'll be hard-pressed to find a harder working natural deodorant than ours. And soon, it will be available online. In the meantime, swing into our pop-up shop and try one (122b Calendar Court in La Grange, IL).
5. Water- If you read about what's in our water, it may scare you. Drinking it is one thing, but think about showering and bathing in it. Our water is filled with chlorine and the dangerous part about it is when it heats up, we're inhaling the gases from those chemicals that then go directly into our blood streams. Consider adding a filter to your shower like this one. Or, if you're a bath person, you can use this cool gadget in the tub.
6. Make-Up- Mineral make-up is where it's at when it comes to your face. Minerals bind to oil on your skin and therefore won't seep into pores. Because of this, mineral makeup is great for acne prone skin, sensitive skin and people that suffer from rosacea.You'll also notice that the minerals don't accentuate fine lines and wrinkles because it isn't sinking in to your skin. Mineral makeup allows your skin to breath naturally. Our favorite brand of mineral make-up is made by Osmosis.
You can turn your home into a non-toxic environment by making some simple changes.
Our products contain No Junk! and No Toxins! so you'll have No Doubt! that you're buying something that's safe for your body.
If you have any questions about our products or how to use them, email us at email@example.com
LUXXE | HONOR's new space is being built out and we can't wait to open our doors to you this Fall! Our permanent location will be 311 W. Hillgrove in La Grange, Il.
As we get closer to opening, we'll be sharing an opportunity to join our membership program as an L|H Founding Member. Founding Members will receive access to a lower monthly rate.
LUXXE | HONOR will also be holding a "Sweat but Fresh" Deodorant Exchange Challenge! Bring in your current antiperspirant and trade it in for an Honor Thy | Deodorant. This is a great way to make the switch to natural deodorant.
Stay tuned for details about the "Sweat But Fresh" Deodorant Exchange Challenge and our Founding Members program by subscribing to our email list at www.luxxehonor.com
More information coming soon!